The greatest challenge

I want to write. I want to write about the challenges I faced in MCM, the friends I have made and the things I've learnt. I want this post to be about everything I've overcome thus far, and the things I gave up to get to where I am.

But this isn't what this post is about.

It's time for a confession.

--

I've lived twenty years of my life in fear of a commitment that I have to honour to the grounds that I grew up in. I don't believe in fighting. I don't believe in guns, in explosions, in proofs of strength to get what we want. And I want to distance myself as much as possible from the notion that I am against. Yes, you can call it a fear, a fear of being enlisted to the army.

It started when I was maybe five, I had a memory of crying to my father, crying about how I didn't want to be a chess piece in the battlefield. I didn't want to die young for the old and selfish.

Long story short, here I am, in a cruel twist of fate, I've been dealt the worst hand of any hand in history: my enlistment date falls on the day of my graduation, and unless I get a pass with merit for my IPPT, I will enlist while my peers graduate.

This is almost as good as a fight I've been trying to avoid all my life, and I have been considering whether to accept things as it is or to do what I'm the most infamous for; changing fate.

A few weeks ago I made the choice.

I've gone through six semesters of hell just to get to where I am today, and if I have to do it, I would rather throw everything I have at this piece of shit test than to miss my graduation.

I keep saying it's easier to give up, but let's be honest, it's cooler to be the boss of my own destiny: so today, I defy the cards dealt to me.

Comments

Popular Posts